Wednesday 24 January 2007

Sensitive area friction

After weeks of gales and rain, it was a memorably beautiful, frosty morning today. So, run on the hills (following my heart) or walk on the road (my head)? My dodgy ankle combined with more sense than I used to have saw me spending 90 minutes walking six laps of a favourite out-and-back lap which starts a couple of hundred yards from home. When I say favourite, what I really mean is consistently effective. The classic novice oversight of forgetting to apply a bit of Vaseline added to the overall discomfort.

If a near stranger tells you to 'minimise friction to your sensitive areas', then (hopefully) they are a regular walker and you will do well to listen. Wherever your clothing or your body rubs repeatedly against another bit of your body then 'abrasions', can occur. I'm sure you can work it out for yourselves, but the obvious hotspots are under the arms, between your legs, between your bum cheeks, and nipples. This is a male perspective on the issue - I'll endeavour to find out if ladies suffer elsewhere and let you know.

Walkers of all ages and abilities benefitted from UK Event Coach Andi Drake's advice during his visit last weekend. Andi used a 2km time trial on the track on Saturday to work out training speeds for Sunday's longer session. Talking to a number of people afterwards, quite a few admitted that they had been training too slowly up to now. Andi's message was to 'train smart' - think about what you are doing and ask yourself whether it is the most effective use of your time. Speaking of which... goodnight.

No comments: