Friday 20 April 2007

Gumption required

Sorry that this is old news, but I thought I'd published this post a few days ago... What a ride by Mark Cavendish to win the 95th Scheldeprijs Vlaanderen race in Belgium. He is building a reputation beyond his years. On the cyclenews.com website, it says "...this man has the guts to become a big gun."

Anyway, it was a better week walking-wise, in so much as I did two training sessions. A planned hour on Tuesday was halved when I got a fire-call. I managed to complete a full hour on Thursday. It wasn't fast, but no problem from blisters. Hope they hold together for the Fireman's Walk on Sunday. To be honest, if I wasn't involved with the Fire Brigade, I wouldn't be walking on Sunday. It's a bit too close to the Parish for me. If you are fit and well-on with training, then it could provide a perfect shake-down to test feeding and pacing etc. However, I'm not and I'm concerned that if I get to the finish, it will take a lot of time to recover. Time I haven't really got. Hopefully, I'll have the gumption to stop when I need to. Hmmm...

Pity the walk clashes with the London Marathon - especially as there looks like being such a great field (like every year) at the front. In the old days, I'd have been up and done my Sunday training in time to settle down with a big breakfast and watch the race on TV (turning the sound down after suffering Brendan Foster superlative overload). I'm sure the big guns will clean up, but look out for Ryan Hall of the USA in his marathon debut.

No comments: