Friday 9 February 2007

Potatoes on North Barrule

The 'Serious Walker' tag is looking increasingly tenuous. For lots of reasons, I haven't done any walking since Sunday! A couple of runs is all I've managed - and one of them was a 40 minute jog in the dark. Never mind - what's done (or not) is done (or isn't).

Tuesday was another beautifully frosty (rioeeagh), sunny morning, and while delivering milk to the good people of Ramsey, North Barrule was a constant, alluring backdrop. The drive back over the mountain was interupted at the Black Hut and half an hour or so later I was looking down on the Northern Plain from the summit of our second highest peak. The run/walk along the ridge from Clagh Ouyr to North Barrule is stunning on a clear day and even a phonecall telling me I'd forgotten to deliver Mrs Kelly's potatoes couldn't spoil it (she got them the next day). The new boardwalk over the permanently boggy bit may not add much to the scenery, but it adds to the comfort. If I hadn't gone up to my knees in a frost-covered ditch less than ten seconds into the run, I'd have had dry feet throughout. It's not proper fell-running if your feet are dry though is it?

No comments: