Tuesday 6 March 2007

Dhoon the Prom

After walking around like a rusty robot for most of Tuesday, I felt much better on Wednesday and actually did some training on Thursday. (If ever there is a sign of advancing age, it's how much longer recovery takes). I had to leave the car in Douglas, so walked home. It wasn't fast but it was enjoyable - the wind was with me for once and the sun was out.

By Friday the sun had gone in, but my fell shoes had just about dried out from the weekend, so I ran a regular route to meet the boys from school at the Dhoon. I go up from our house and out 'the back lane' onto the Snaefell Mountain Railway track. Head up the track for about half a mile before dropping into the valley to the river. Over the river and straight up the other side of the valley to where the Clagh Ouyr and Glen Mona tracks meet. Then straight down the latter to meet the main road at the Glen Mona pub. It's a good 'up and down' run and takes 45 mins on a good day. I usually leave it a bit tight for time, and end up time trialling all the way, arriving in the nick of time, exhausted.

Sunday saw me stepping back in time with a session on Douglas Prom. I'd walk on the prom at least two or three times a week when I worked in Douglas, but now it's a bit of a novelty. The novelty quickly wore off...
Having dropped Finn at a two hour party, I decided not to sit in the hotel bar and watch what turned out to be an epic West Ham v Spurs seven goal thriller, but to do three laps (six lengths) of the Prom. Lap one was a warm-up. Lap two was pretty good. Lap three was a struggle. Confirmation that I have made the right decision not to race 20km at the Open Meeting.

No comments: